Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Lucky Child

This weekend coming up will be Emily's 11th birthday. I am not quite sure how it happened but she is creeping up on teenager awfully fast. I just got depressed this morning when I realized that we are past the halfway point of the time period when she will be at home with us. Tom (her Dad) came down to The Bahamas for a few days as a birthday visit and she even got to spend time with her Grandparents and Great-Aunt(Tom's Parents and Aunt), who were in port for the day with the Disney Cruise.

She had the week off of school this last week cavorting around the island with her Dad and getting all of her birthday presents from them. Then it was off to Harbour Island with us for the weekend (she's still there - more on that in another post).

As we were walking on the Pink Sands Beach of Harbour Island I could see her with her friends jumping in the waves ahead of us and I thought that she truly is a lucky girl. We hope to always keep her very aware of (and thankful for) how privileged she is and hope that she never, ever takes her life for granted. Standing on the dock as Mark and I left her to come back to Nassau, I looked at her filthy dirty bare feet and thought, "she hasn't worn shoes for the last 2 days, what a dream for a kid."

Her birthday weekend will be a whirlwind of cake at school, a sleep-over party with her friends and then a family dinner (including Tina who arrives on Tuesday) at her choice of establishment - probably the Marketplace buffet over at Atlantis. Lucky girl! Here she is during her week with Tom...















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Emily! You are indeed a very lucky girl. I remember my days on the islands and treasure those memories now. Oh and mom, she won't grow up as fast there as she would stateside. So consider yourself a little lucky too!

tammi said...

She is indeed fortunate! I LOVE that second picture of her ~ the colours are amazing and the background.... well, you know how I feel about that!

Wish her a happy birthday from solidly frozen Canada and get her to run barefoot one extra day for me!!!

Anonymous said...

Can't she have one of those lovely puppies for her birhtday!!!

Muser | Writer | Traveler said...

She's not that lucky!