Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ow - That Darn Cat!

Before we begin this post I would just like to point out a few important facts about our Tabby cat named "Ow".



  • He is 13 years old.

  • He has no claws.

  • He has no front teeth.

When we lived in Virginia he loved to bring us gifts... into the house...did I mention he has no teeth? They were always alive. He has presented to us (with a very loud and proud "meow") the following:



  • Voles

  • Chipmunks

  • Baby Rabbits

  • Mice

  • Butterflies

  • Moths

  • Birds (once "Daddy Cardinal" - we were devastated)

and... drumroll please...



  • A bat... in the middle of the night... in to the bed... a big one.

Now all that was bad but thankfully we have a nature-loving daughter who would simply capture the confused animal in a kitchen towel and release it.

This - I don't know if we can take. How can an old, toothless, clawless cat catch lizards? They are very, very fast. Well, it turns out that he can - and even worse - it turns out he likes to eat them - after he gums them to death. Of course the meal would not nearly as enjoyable if he did not let them run around the house for a while looking for an escape. Worst of all - he doesn't like the tails so he bites them off and leaves them twitching on the carpet.


Here is his latest catch. We think he was showing off to Colonel who couldn't catch a lizard if Ow walked up and inserted in to his mouth.




6 comments:

tammi said...

"leaves the tails twitching on the floor" ~ that kills me!! Man, I'm glad our cats live outdoors!! It's bad enough when there are disemboweled mice and other little varmints on the sidewalk for the girls to poke around with! I'm definitely not interested in having those delicacies brought into the house -- and certainly not still alive!

He's quite the feisty old man, your cat Ow!

tammi said...

You know, my ww picture makes me a little sad, too, for some reason. It's not like those toys won't get played with again this summer, but yeah, somehow it just feels like a goodbye. Well, I guess fall kinda is every year.

Hmmmm, two glasses of wine you say, eh? Better get myself caught up...

tammi said...

Oh shoot, I better get a move on and pour myself a glass then!! I'm the same way -- it just knocks me right out. Dang, and I've got studying to do tonight. Better make it a Coke, I guess. Next time!

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

Oh Lisa! What a wonderful post after the awful day that you know I've had!!!! Ow is a great cat! All Sami's been doing tonight is rubbing against me and asking for pats. Maybe I'll send her outside!

Becky said...

Ow is a great cat! Though I say that knowing full well that I do not have a cat. However my boys bring me stuff all the time but nothing as exciting as Ow does!

Grant Elliott said...

YUCK! a bat!
I'd jump a mile if Bear brought one of those home...who knows what Ow will find next...