Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy 60th Birthday Mum!



Lisa here... This is Mum. Today is her 60th birthday. Happy Birthday Mum!

I'm not there today because she is far away, so to celebrate from afar here are some of my favorite Mum memories...

Getting our chalk and drawing roads and a town on the bedroom carpet for all of us because we were bored - washing it all off before Dad came home.

Running out of the house with a knife to pry Michelle off of the chain link fence that she got hooked on to by her ear ("Mum's gonna cut her ear off!")

Making Damson jam with an upside down ironing board in the kitchen.

Carrying me across the "Jungle" to the hospital when I dislocated my arm.

Signing us out of school for a "dentist's appointment" and going on the bus to Bristol to see Jaws.

Deciding we were going to go on a picnic and walking to Wales.

Lunches she used to make for my school trips - hard boiled eggs and salad cream.

Waking us all up in the middle of the night to watch the thunder storms through the picture window when we first moved to America.

Doing my paper route for my at 5:00am in the morning when I wasn't well.

Crying because I didn't like the "baby" dress she bought for me to go to a dance in 8th grade.

Comforting me in 9th grade when I went to band camp and all my friends decided they weren't going to speak to me anymore.

Shaving my armpits with 5 minutes to go before my date picked me up for the 9th grade prom because I forgot but she noticed.

Driving to my college to bring me groceries.

Sending me care packages pratically every week when I went on a US theatre tour(she was THE most popular Mum then).

Driving an hour to come to my house every day for two weeks after Emily was born.

And so much more... Happy Birthday Mum - love you!

8 comments:

tammi said...

What wonderful memories! Living apart from parents is a bit sucky, isn't it? (and I only live a 6-hr drive from mine!!) It's good to remember how much fun they are and all the great things they've done for us over the years.

Mama Smurf said...

What a great thing to do for your mom! You're mOm =) must be so happy.

Anonymous said...

duWhat a beautiful mum she is! She sounds very special.

tammi said...

PS. Just looked through some of your old posts and REALLY enjoyed the tour of your home! You really do have a beautiful house and view!!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Happy Birthday mum... What wonderful memories... I know what you mean by her being so far away... take care

Anonymous said...

That was great. I love your blog! I found you thru the Ultimate Party and wanted to invite you over to my site for a fun contest this week. You could be my lucky winner or my unfortunate loser . . . either way, I hope you laugh a little.
http://www.wearethatfamily.com

Grant Elliott said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA'S MUM!
Hope you had a great day!

Robin said...

What a wonderful mom she must be.

I'm inspired to make sure I create memories like these for my own children.