Friday, June 13, 2008

Parle Italiano?



It's probably pretty obvious with a name like "Cabrelli" that Mark is of Italian descent. People often get very confused when he speaks with an unmistakable Scottish accent after they hear his name and look at him. Both his Mother and Father's Parents went to Scotland to seek their fortune at the turn of the 20th century and there they stayed. But - every summer Mark and his family returned to his Grandfather's home (above) in a little mountain village in Italy, driving all the way from Scotland - the whole family in a single car. Now the house belongs to Mark's family and we try and go once a year, although it doesn't always work out that way. The indomitable Sundie is there at this very minute after leaving for Italy only days after she returned from the Bahamas. Lisa struggles in Italy as she does not speak Italian (as do most of the Cabrelli family) and there is very little English spoken in the mountains.


So... what is one to do. Lisa and Mark had invited their new friend Sara over for coffee to help her with her English conversation skills. While she was here she made a great suggestion... how about we learn Italian (well Mark practices and Lisa learns) while she learns English. Great idea! Now we will be meeting twice a week to see how much Italian Sara can squeeze out of one language Lisa. We'll let you know how it goes.

11 comments:

Sara said...

Dears Friends,
i'm very appy to these meetings.
Is really a good idea for both.

See you tuesday.

Sara

tammi said...

What a great idea!! And what a beautiful family home ~ looks like a wonderful place to spend time reconnecting with seldomly seen family members.

(I had also wondered how a Cabrelli could be Scottish!! Thanks for clearing that up for me!)

Mary Beth said...

Are you doing Italian food at these gatherings too? Cause that would just make it perfect! Good luck learning the language - it's so beautiful to listen to and learning it is one of the things on my "do before I get too old to enjoy" list:)

Mama Smurf said...

I'm Italian too and SO want to learn to speak Italian...so does my mom so I'm thinking of signing us both up for an college course...Chrismas present maybe? We'll see. Good luck!

Grant Elliott said...

Sounds like you are making some good new friends. I remember Mark being shocked when we didn't have fresh parmesan in the fridge...we always have it now!

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

There's no better way to learn a language than from a native speaker. Good luck! and let us know how it goes.

TSpats said...

I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love and am on fire to learn italian now. Must do this. Feeling you all the way out here.

TSpats said...

I'll find facebook next. I've been to paradise and am even on myspace.
www.myspace.com/spats4shoes

Manager Mom said...

Like Mary Beth, I also want to hear about the food! good luck with the language lessons. What a lovely, inclusive, worldly life you are creating for your family.

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it! Tomorrow is our sewing lesson with the Italian seamstress Beta. So far I've only got down "buon giorno!"

You can sit on the bench next to me "one language Lisa!"

Lg said...

hello, are u Cabrelli? I'm from Brazil and im searching for parents
Aswer me as fast u can by email
Thank you!