Sunday, April 20, 2008

Leaving Home...

Just Lisa here today - It has been a very busy and stressful time over the last few days. Pete and Di finally arrived after being delayed more than 24 hours when their flight was canceled in London. We had a lovely evening last night but today is filled with packing, planning and preparing for our trip back to the U.S.

Something interesting happened to me today. I was packing suitcases and running around trying to remember what I had forgotten - which is always a challenge since having forgotten it there isn't much chance of remembering - when I stepped out on to the patio to breath.

The ocean always helps me breath. So many times over these last few months when problems and issues have just seemed insurmountable, I have stood on the edge of the expanse of blue green ocean and timed my breathing to the sounds of the tide. Calmness descends. Today calmness came, along with a unfamiliar and sweetly surprising feeling.

I have been back to the U.S. twice since we arrived here only 4 short months ago. Both times I felt as if I were going "home" and even spoke about the trip in those terms, "what will I need for the trip home", "I will call you when I get home". On this trip I am going back to my parent's house, which is the most "home" I could ever be in the U.S.

But as I stood in the salted breeze unknotting the anxiety coiled in my ribcage I thought, "I am going away - I am leaving home."

Home - at last we are home.

11 comments:

Queen B said...

Great post. Home--where ever it is--is such a sweet place to be.

tammi said...

Man, I wish I could go breathe in some salt spray to calm my nerves every now and again!!

What an awesome feeling!!! Glad to hear you feel like you're finally at home where you are. And all the best as you prepare for this trip.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so sweet! Finally feeling at home must be a really good feeling.

I hope you have a safe trip back to your parent's house. And just think, it won't be cold!

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

Oh you! That was so touching. I'm so glad that you've found a home in the Bahamas... and feel that way too now. Having grown up on an island, I know how you feel about the ocean and waves. Though it's sad, I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! So happy for you. I wish I had that.

Mary Beth said...

Isn't it funny that no matter how many times we move and how long we live in "our house", the house you grew up in will always be home? In times of stress, that's the address I put down without thinking.

I know how you feel about the water. I have lived either within sight or right on the water for the past 10 years now and it is very important. Coming home to the river after a stressful day - just watching the water lap against the dock and I'm okay again! Have a safe trip back!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I feel a little like that when I am in Australia... wanting to come home to my little town here in the US and then when I am here... I need to go home to Australia... it is crazy... just wish it where closer...

Mama Smurf said...

What a great post this was! I can almost hear the ocean just reading about it. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

A delightful revelation, isn't it? Welcome home. :)

Prayers for a safe journey "away".

Robin said...

And that's the change that makes all the difference. Have a wonderful trip, and remember that your home is waiting right there for you when you return.

I'm going back to the States in August, but now that my parents don't even live in the same state I grew up in it really isn't "home" in any way anymore. It's a very strange, and somewhat disconcerting, feeling. Israel's been "home" for nearly 20 years now, but still the final act of them moving out of my childhood home has left me feeling strangely bereft.

Anonymous said...

I love this post both for the calming of the ocean and the fact that home is where the heart is. Conrats on reaching tha point.